It’s no wonder that broken torsion springs lead to a wide array of issues for garage doors.
They ruin the movement of the garage door and make strange noises.
They also make the door shut right away, causing you injury if you happen to be in the way.
There are many ways that broken torsion springs can bring.
Hence, it causes inconvenience for homeowners if they face this kind of issue.
It can be frustrating to see your garage door is malfunctioning because of a broken component, right?
For this reason, we will spill all the things you need to know how to replace a broken garage door torsion spring.
Signs of a Broken Garage Door Spring
Torsion springs store energy and release it when the door opens and closes. Hence, they play a crucial role in the operation of a garage door system.
Furthermore, consider these indicators to know if the springs are the cause of your faulty garage door:
Visible wearing and damage: If you see gaps, wearing, and rust, the torsion spring is damaged.
The door is stuck: Damaged torsion springs can result in a stuck garage door, making it difficult to move after opening halfway.
Cause damage on the opener: Opener and springs are responsible for the movement of the door. If torsion springs break, it forces the opener to work more than is required. Hence, it causes the door to bend and drag when operating.
Loud noise: When the spring is in too much tension, it will lift the door suddenly, creating a noise. A spring with no tension also causes the door to shut suddenly which produces a loud bang.
The door closes faster: A broken torsion spring allows the door to close more quickly than usual because of a lack of tension.
What to Do with Broken Torsion Springs
If the torsion spring on your garage door is broken, a replacement is usually suggested. To give you an overview, this is how to replace a broken garage door torsion spring:
- For safety measures, close the door and unplug the opener. This will prevent the door from moving when you accidentally touch the opener.
- Uncoil the springs from the tube shaft using a winding bar.
- Remove the springs from the shaft. Then, detach the cables from the pulleys. Release and slide the pulleys from the shaft.
- Change the springs with the new ones.
- Reattach the cables and pulleys.
- Tighten the ends of the torsion spring on the shaft to secure them in place.
- Coil the springs by securing them with screw bolts.
- Lastly, remove the winding bar.
After doing the necessary steps, test the door if it’s operating normally. Furthermore, watch this video for a more detailed approach on how to replace a broken garage door torsion spring.
While damaged springs are easy to fix, you need to be an experienced DIYer to pull off the job.
Before replacing a broken torsion spring, consider these reminders.
After all, it’s best to take safety measures when doing such a dangerous task.
- Torsion springs are under constant tension and releases force to make the door move. If it malfunctions, it can cause injury to you.
- A DIY is not the best way to fix a broken torsion spring. If you’re not an experienced one, you might cause more damage to the springs. As a result, the damage you inflicted can cascade to more significant problems.
- The best way to handle the issue is to contact an emergency garage door service in Vancouver, like Vancouver Overhead Doors. If you notice your spring is broken, call us right away. We will respond to your request any time of the day to bring your garage door back to good condition.
Should you Replace Both Torsion Springs?
Almost all garage doors come with two torsion springs.
Even if only one spring is damaged, replace both as needed.
Torsion springs almost have a similar lifespan.
In other words, if one spring is broken, it will also happen to the other spring before you notice it.
Also, there are other cases that two springs have different dimensions used in a garage door.
If your other spring is broken, replace the other one as well.
Replace your Torsion Spring with Vancouver Overhead Doors
While there are DIY videos on replacing torsion spring, leaving the job to a professional is the best way to approach the issue.
Especially if you contact Vancouver Overhead Doors, rest assured we will solve all your garage door issues.
Contact us now, and we will replace your broken garage door spring right away.